The evidence for the benefits of having a Doula support you through the perinatal period, speaks for itself. We know that having a Doula present can help reduce the time spent in labour, reduce the birthing person’s anxiety and support the birth partner, there’s a lower rate of medical interventions and unplanned caesarean sections/abdominal birth’s with Doula’s present, and Doula’s can support the parent-baby bonding experience post birth.
A 2017 Cochrane review (Bohren et al) showed that continuous support from a Doula provided birthing people during childbirth with:
- 39% decrease in the risk of Caesarean birth
- 15% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth
- 10% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
- Shorter labours by 41 minutes on average
- 31% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience